Monday, 18 February 2013

Drawing People


One of my new years resolutions was to develop my drawing further.. I really want to get back into the habit of drawing everyday (for me) I really want to be able to draw people - I am TERRIBLE at drawing people. Don't even get me started on hair do's and hands. People I've drawn tend to look like they've been in a horrific accident. Unfortunately I've never been asked to draw somebody who is recovering from a head on collision so my frighteningly-bad-people-drawing skills have been wasted. Shame.

SO I've set myself a couple of little briefs to try and help develop my skills. Starting with children 'cos they're easier. Some important points I have unearthed from drawing people:

- I really need to start being a bit more patient with myself.
- Stop swearing and threatening to "chop my own hands off because they're useless pieces of ham" (those words did actually leave my mouth. I'm sorry) when things don't go quite right straight away.
- Stop drawing the same handful of people because it's easy.
- Drawing glasses and freckles and big hair quiffs are FUN.

Here's my first attempt (not ever btw)


Also for a bit of fun, and so you can see my process.. Here it is animated (and I use that word lightly.. I've never "animated" before.. apart from a chicken illustration at Uni.. But I've chosen to block that painful memory out) I'm sorry this is all squished.. I've just rejigged my blog & it's stretching everything - I'm in the process of fixing it!


Have you got any tips for drawing people? I've love to know if you have any tricks for drawings hands.

Steph xo

2 comments:

linda said...

beautiful and cool to see the process!

Steph Says Hello said...

Thank you! xo

Post a Comment